The Miami University Libraries Award for Undergraduate Research Excellence or LAURE for short, is an annual award dedicated to celebrating research conducted by undergraduates using library resources.
We know that excellent research usually starts with a question, one that evolves and develops through the use of library resources. We want to hear that story. What’s the most important part of LAURE? What are the judges really looking for? In fact, 80% of the judging rubric is focused on describing the research process and when the undergraduate student interacted with the libraries. The first prize will receive a prize of $750, $300 to the second and $200 to the third place winner. The winner will be announced at the Undergraduate Research Forum April 21, 2021.
The Miami University Libraries are a gateway to many resources to support undergraduate research, including our librarians, our digital databases, our books, our technology, our archives and special collections, and our makerspace.
- Our online databases are virtual, our librarians are available via text, chat, email, telephone and in person.
- our workshops are online,
- the Howe Writing Center, which is located in King Library, is staffed with consultants who are familiar with the LAURE essay guidelines,
- our digital collections as well as many of the special collections and university archives and last,
- we have made our technology and software check out. a remote computer lab you can access from anywhere.[
All undergraduate students enrolled at Miami University are eligible. We welcome a wide range of submission types, research papers, lab/clinical research investigations, multimedia projects, artworks, prototypes, and models. For a complete list, see How to Apply. Submissions are accepted beginning on February 15 and are due on March 15, 2021.
To learn more about the award, review the submission process, and read previous winning essays, visit the University Libraries’ LAURE webpage. The LAURE committee is happy to answer any questions about the application process, provide support in writing the essay or with submitting files. Please reach out to the committee at LAURE@MiamiOH.edu.